201 HPA Stress Profile w/ Cortisol Awakening Response
Cortisol Awakening Response
CAR is the rise in cortisol levels observed at 30 minutes post-awakening (approximately 35-60% above the waking value) followed by an expected decline one hour after waking. The behavior of cortisol is an important physiological response to anticipation of the day ahead and is a key indicator of HPA axis reactivity.The walking, 30 minute, and 60-minute cortisol results comprise something of a “mini stress test” and capture the dynamic rise and decline of cortisol in the first hour after awakening. Research has shown that combining CAR testing with a diurnal cortisol rhythm is a far superior way to assess HPA axis function than diurnal cortisol alone.
The walking, 30 minute, and 60-minute cortisol results comprise something of a “mini stress test” and capture the dynamic rise and decline of cortisol in the first hour after awakening. Research has shown that combining CAR testing with a diurnal cortisol rhythm is a far superior way to assess HPA axis function than diurnal 4-point cortisol test alone.
In addition to collecting samples, patients will complete the Perceived Stress Survey (PSS). The PSS is the most widely used physiological instrument for measuring the perception of stress. Individual scores on the PSS can range from 0 to 40 with higher scores indicating higher perceived stress. When combined with patient history data, the PSS score, along with CAR, helps to identify the effect mental and emotional stress is having on a patient’s HPA function.
DO YOU SUFFER FROM THESE SYMPTOMS?
- Decreased tolerance to heat or cold
- Aches and pains
- Feel tired even after sleeping
- Feelings that life is “unreal”
- Lightheadedness and a poor sense of balance when sitting or standing
- Fatigue and dizziness when fasting
- Extreme energy and crash after a meal
- Frequent colds
- Sleep disruption or insomnia
- Cravings for chocolate, caffeine, and sugar
- Mood imbalance and irritability
- Digestive issues
All these symptoms could be a result of hormone deficiencies and imbalances which could affect both men and women as we age! Testing can help you discover the root cause of your imbalances and get you back on your way to optimal health!
***Important notes about lab kits for purchased above***
- We are unable to ship lab kits to PO boxes. Please use a residential address.
- Some lab providers fill out requisition forms ahead of time, with patient information. To avoid confusion when processing orders, if you are ordering lab kits for multiple people, we do request that you place a separate order for each person.
- Please note: after you order a test kit, getting the lab draw and/or completing the test is your responsibility.
- It is also your responsibility to have the test interpreted by a qualified professional
- Due to the fees we incur after a test kit is sent, we are unable to offer returns or exchanges on test kits.
- Once you have sent in your lab kit, the lab will send us test results which we will forward to you.
There will be an additional shipping fee for International lab orders, which varies by location. Once your order is received, we will email you in regards to the additional cost, to be paid via invoice.